Tuesday 27 December 2011

Making change in 2012




What are your goals for 2012? What can you ACTION to improve YOU?


For me it's all about better life balance, so I am completely re-shaping my routines. The big challenge is, we (humans) are creatures of habit, so in order to break my existing habits and routines, I am even going to the extent of changing my alarm time by 15 min for no other purpose then to break my existing routine.


I have done this before about two years ago after finding myself in a bit of a rut within my job, and to prepare for the birth of my first child. As a result the past two years have been super productive for me, both personally and professionally.
However lots of things have changed in two years and as Marshall Goldsmith says "what got you here, won't get you there", so I need to adapt to those changes to ensure I remain productive and continue to achieve my goals.


In addition and Only My Opinion, make sure you focus on ACTIONS. Read almost anything on setting goals and you'll inevitably come across the SMART model, that states goals need to be specific, measurable, attainable, relevant (meaningful), and time specific. I agree 100% with this, but I find people don't put enough focus on the actions, and as result they never break old habits that allow them to action the new ones and will help them reach their goals.


As simplistic as this sounds nothing will actually change until you yourself take action and make the changes. something that helps me is remembering Albert Einsteins definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". 

So what's your focus in 2012, what are your goals, what are you going to ACTION?

No comments: